Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Post

I've been reading other people's blogs for some time now and have decided that I have a few things of my own to say. My concerns run to the future direction of our society. Will it be open, expansive, and growing, or closed, defensive, and moribund? My preference is for the former, but I see many trends that are pushing us towards the later, and I would like to point out both trends as I notice them, and see what others have to say about that.

Like everyone else, I am biased by my beliefs, so I will spell out the basics of my philosophy so that there is no mystery as to my motivations. I am:
  • Socially liberal
  • Fiscally conservative
  • A believer in the scientific method
  • Devoted to my family
  • Proudly American (warts and all)
  • Happy to be part of Western Civilization
  • Optimistic about the future
  • A fan of Open Source and Capitalism
  • A believer if facts, not beliefs.
I am, of course, more nuanced than the above list, but the list still provides a guide to where I am coming from.

David

No comments: